Are you ready to tantalize your taste buds with something sweet and citrusy? You can whip up a delicious batch of lemon curd in your microwave in just five minutes. Whether you’re looking for the perfect topping for pancakes or something to add some zest to your dessert table, this quick and easy recipe will delight you. With its bright flavour profile and silky texture, this is one delicacy that any home chef deserves to have in their repertoire. Get ready to make an irresistible treat that will enliven any surrounding spread!
What is lemon curd?
Lemon curd is a sweet, thick spread made of sugar, lemon juice and zest, eggs, and butter. It can be used as a condiment or topping for toast, scones, pancakes and other desserts. Lemon curd originated in the Victorian era when it was served with afternoon tea. Today, this tangy treat is enjoyed all over the world!
The base of lemon curd contains just four ingredients: sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice plus the zest, eggs, and butter cut into small cubes. The mixture must be stirred continuously until it reaches a luscious pudding-like consistency that coats the back of a spoon or spatula.
Why you’ll love this lemon curd recipe
- 2 Lemons (Zest and juice) – Fresh lemons
- 50 g Butter – I use salted butter, but you can use unsalted if you wish.
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs – Free range or, even better, organic!
How to make lemon curd in the microwave
What goes with lemon curd?
The first thing that comes to my mind is lemon meringue pie, but there are lots of other serving suggestions, such as:
Add to plain yoghurt
Add to buttercream
If you have poured your fresh lemon curd into a sealed sterilised jar, it will keep for several months. Otherwise, it will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Quick 5-Minute Microwave Lemon Curd Recipe
- 2 Lemons (Zest and the juice)
- 50 g Butter
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Melt the butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Leave to cool.
- Zest the lemons and juice them. Add this to the bowl with the melted butter. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and set it 20 seconds intervals to start with and whisking each time. After 60-90 seconds set for 1 minute. You should start to see it thicken. Put it in for a fruther 20 seconds and check again. If it covers the back of a tablespoon it's done. Don't forget it will thicken as it cools.