When you think of afternoon tea, what comes to mind? Scone with jam and cream! These plain scones can go with lots of different toppings and are so easy to make. A foolproof scone recipe that is soft, buttery, and melts in the mouth.
You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to make these plain scones. All you need is a few ingredients to work the dough very lightly and bake in the oven.
When making scones, eating them when they are as fresh as possible is best. It’s also important to work the dough very lightly – the less time you handle it, the better your scones will be.
CAN YOU MAKE SCONES WITH PLAIN FLOUR?
Yes, of course, you can. All you need is 2 and a half teaspoons of baking powder for a perfect rise. A great option if you’ve no self-raising flour in the cupboard!
DO YOU NEED SELF-RAISING FLOUR FOR FLUFFY SCONES
Fluffy scones are the best kind of scone, and self-raising flour is the key to achieving that perfect texture. When combined with baking powder, self-raising flour helps to create a light and fluffy scone that is simply irresistible. So if you’re looking for a tall, fluffy scone, then self-raising flour is the way to go. Just be sure to add a little extra baking powder to ensure that your scones turn out beautifully light and fluffy.
WHAT FRUIT CAN YOU ADD TO SCONES?
You can add any dried fruit you like. You don’t need a lot. Just a handful will do. The most popular fruit in a scone is:
Currants – Try my Singin Hinny Griddle Cakes
You could even add some nuts, such as walnuts. These make the scones extra tasty.
INGREDIENTS FOR LARGE PLAIN SCONES
All you will need is:
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder – To give it a nice rise
- Unsalted Butter – For vegans, use a baking block
- Caster Sugar
- Eggs – For vegans, add extra coconut cream
- Milk – Any kind of milk will do. I used Oatly milk.
- Coconut cream or Clotted cream
- Jam to serve
PLAIN SCONE TOPPINGS
There is so much that can go on top of a plain scone. If I’m making soup, a plain scone goes perfectly with it. Here are a few ideas:
Any fruit jam. Try my easy Damson Jam Recipe
Cheese & Pickle
Lemon Curd – 5-MINUTE microwave recipe!
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
You will need:
How to make plain scones
Easy Plain Scone Recipe
- 225 g Plain Flour
- 2½ tsp Baking Powder
- Salt Pinch of
- 40 g Unsalted Butter
- 75 g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 50 ml Milk
- 50 g Coconut Cream or Clotted Cream
- Jam to serve
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°c Fan Oven.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, then add the butter and rub into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar abd mix well.225 g Plain Flour, 2½ tsp Baking Powder, Salt Pinch of, 40 g Unsalted Butter, 75 g Caster Sugar
- Mix the egg, milk and cream together, then add to the mixture to form a dough.1 Egg, 50 ml Milk, 50 g Coconut Cream or Clotted Cream
- On a lightly floured surface, form a dough and cut into discs with your cutter and about 2cm thick. Transfer to a baking tray and brush with milk.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.Jam to serve