Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and that means it’s time for some delicious treats! This recipe for heart-shaped biscuits is perfect for showing your loved ones how much you care. And, since they’re made with fondant, they’ll look extra special. Let’s get started!
Ingredients For Ginger Heart Biscuits
Try and buy the best quality ingredients for your recipes. I always use organic flour in all my recipes. The fewer chemicals we ingest, the better!
You will need:
110g Caster Sugar
2 tsp Ground Ginger ( I use organic)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
250g Plain Flour
1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Icing Sugar (for the glue)
300g Sugar Paste
Heart-Shaped Biscuit Recipe
Equipment For Your Heart Shaped Biscuits
You will need:
2 x Heart Shaped Cutters, (one bigger than the other) 7cm approx
Electric Mixer or a Mixing Bowl
Large Non-Stick Baking Trays
Wire Cooling Rack
How to Make Ginger Heart Biscuits
These biscuits are pretty simple to make (see recipe below and instructions) and quick if you have a mixer and have ready-made fondant at hand. If you want to make your own fondant, go to How To Make Fondant Icing. I recommend making your own sugar paste as it tastes so much better than shop-bought. Once you’ve made your fondant ( I recommend making a large amount), you can store it and use it for other recipes at a later date.
Roll out your biscuit mixture to about 7-8mm thick on a floured surface and cut out your heart shapes with the larger heart-shaped cutter. Place on your baking tray and bake for about 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown, then cool on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, rollout out your fondant on a surface floured with icing sugar to about 5mm thickness or thicker depending on your taste. I’ve used homemade white fondant here, but you can use coloured fondant if you wish.
Mix a little icing sugar with water to make a runny glue and brush a little on top of the biscuit and some on the back of the fondant heart and sandwich together.
To add your heart-shaped sprinkles dab some glue on top of the fondant where you want to place them and gently press the sprinkles into the icing. Leave to set for 5 to 10 minutes, then store in an air-tight container.
Valentines Day Gifts For Kids To Make
These heart biscuits make excellent presents for your loved ones. Place them in heart transparent bags. I bought mine from Amazon. They are sealable, look really pretty, and are just the right size for these biscuits. I did this for a school as they wanted 160 biscuits made for Valentines Day!
Kids will love making these biscuits, especially the decorating part. Instead of using sprinkles, you could use icing pens and write the name of whom you’re sending it to!
Valentine Ginger Heart Biscuit Recipe (With Fondant)
- Pre-heat the oven at 180c Fan (400F 200C). Grease line your baking trays.
- Mix the margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.110 g Margarine, 100 g Sugar, 1 Egg, 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until fully combined.250 g Plain Flour, ¼ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda, ¼ tsp Baking Powder, ¼ tsp Salt, 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead to form a smooth dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough to about 7mm thick. Cut out heart shapes with the largest cutter and place on your baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden then cool on a wire rack.
- Roll out your sugar paste on a surface dusted with icing sugar. Cut out heart shapes with the smaller cutter.300 g Fondant
- In a small bowl, mix the icing sugar wth a little water until dissolved to make a watery glue.1 tbsp Icing Sugar
- Brush the buscuits and the back of the heart fondant with a little glue and place the fondant on top of the biscuits.
- Dot a few places on the fondant with the glue where you would like the sprinkles. Add a few heart-shaped sprinkles and press gently into the icing.30 g Heart-Shaped Sprinkles
- Repeat until all biscuits are decorated. Store in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.