I’ve never been to Italy, but if I were to venture a guess, I imagine the food there is pretty darn good. From what I’ve heard (and tasted), Italian cuisine revolves around simple, fresh ingredients—the kind of stuff that makes you feel good after eating it. Case in point: this pear and nut torta Caprese. It might sound fancy, but it’s actually quite easy to make! Just gather a few simple ingredients like pears, nuts, eggs, sugar, and cocoa…and you’re on your way.
Zero-flour chocolate cake
If you’re looking for a truly unique and delicious dessert, look no further than the Pear and Nut Torta Caprese. This Italian classic is made with dark chocolate, nuts (blitzed in a food processor) and mashed pears.
The result is a moist, fudgy, flavour-packed cake that will please any crowd. They have a similar consistency to chocolate brownies but without flour. Best of all, the Pear and Nut Torta Caprese can be made ahead of time so that you can enjoy it stress-free. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or want to indulge in something sweet, this torta will surely hit the spot.
What is Torta Caprese?
Torta Caprese is a traditional Italian cake made with chocolate and nuts. Usually, almonds or hazelnuts. I’ve used a mix of nuts in this recipe because they needed using, and it tastes great! It’s named after the island of Capri from where it originates. The cake is trendy in Naples.
Ingredients for no-flour chocolate cake
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 200 g Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 295 g Caster Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 200 g Nuts (blitzed in a food processor)
- 1 Pear (peeled, cored and mashed)
- 35 g Cocoa Powder
- Icing Sugar to decorate
Recipe for Chocolate Torta Caprese
What to serve with Torta Caprese
Because of its delicate flavour, Torta Caprese is best served with a cup of coffee or tea. Or serve with sweet chilled Vin Santo. Vin Santo is a sweet, usually viscous Italian wine that has been made primarily in Tuscany. The delightful flavours of this drink come from its hazelnut and caramel essence, which create an intense yet smooth feel on your palate when you take a sip after a delicious serving!
Alternatively, try serving it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of gelato for an extra special treat. No matter how you enjoy it, Torta Caprese is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
The Best Pear And Nut Torta Caprese (Flourless Cake)
- Preheat the oven to 160°c fan/180°c and grease and line a large round tin.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave a few seconds at a time until melted and smooth.
- Place the sugar and eggs in a mix and whisk at high speed for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- Fold in the nuts, pear, cocoa and melted chocolate mixture and a pinch of salt.
- Spread into a prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is cracked and crisp and the middle is fudgy. Cool in the pan then dust with icing sugar