Fall is in the air, and that means apple season is here! This easy French apple cake recipe is perfect for a quick dessert. It’s simple to make and so delicious. You’ll love the sweet and tart flavours of the apples combined with a tipple of rum. Enjoy this cake warm with a scoop of ice cream or cold straight from the fridge. Yum!
French apple cake – rum or no rum?
When it comes to French apple cake, there are two schools of thought on whether or not to add rum. Some believe that the spirits give the cake a more complex flavour, while others find that it takes away from the delicate taste of the apples.
Ultimately, it is up to the baker to decide whether or not to add rum to their cake. However, there are a few things to keep in mind. If you do choose to add rum, be sure to use a high-quality spirit. A lower-quality rum can make the cake taste cheap and boozy. Additionally, too much rum can overpower the other flavours in the cake. As a general rule, only add three tablespoons of rum to the batter. With these tips in mind, you can bake a French apple cake that is sure to please everyone.
Gluten-free French apple cake
French apple cake is a classic dessert that can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of dietary restrictions. Traditionally, the cake is made with flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and apples. However, it is easy to adapt the recipe to make a gluten-free version.
Simply substitute the flour for a gluten-free variety, such as an all-purpose gluten-free flour or use a combination of white rice flour, quinoa flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour. The cake will be just as moist and flavorful without the risk of triggering an allergic reaction. So whether you are baking for someone with celiac disease or you are avoiding gluten yourself, this French apple cake is a delicious and safe option.
For 8 serving you will need the following ingredients:
- 125 g Plain Flour/All Purpose
- 115 g Unsalted Butter
- 130 g Granulated Sugar (plus extra for topping)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 Baking Apples (peeled, cored and cut into small 1.5cm cubes)
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Rum
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Icing Sugar/Confectioners sugar (to decorate)
How to make a super moist French apple cake
Easy French Apple Cake
- Preheat the oven to 175° Fan /350° F and grease and baseline your 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix together.
- Add the eggs one at time and beat thoroughly before adding the next one.
- Beat in the vanilla extra and rum. Add the flour mix on a low speed until all mixed in.
- Fold in the chopped apples, then transfer to the baking tin. Even out the top and sprinkle it with some granulated sugar, About 1 tbsp. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then carefuly remove from the tin by inverting it onto a wire rack whilst you remove the baking paper then get you serving plate and place it on top then tip upside down. Sprinkle with icing sugar using a sieve if decorating.
- Serve it as it is, or served warm with cream or ice cream!