Are you looking for a delicious, easy way to cook up some tasty salmon? Using an air fryer is the best way to go! Not only is it one of the quickest cooking methods out there, but when cooked with the skin on, this fish recipe produces perfectly tender and juicy results. In today’s post we’ll be exploring how to make yummy air fryer salmon with the skin on that will have your taste buds singing!
Why Air Fryer Salmon is a Great Choice
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to cook salmon, the air fryer is a great option. Here are a few reasons why:
Quick and Convenient
Using the air fryer to cook salmon is quick and convenient. You can have perfectly cooked salmon in just 10 – 15 minutes without the need to preheat the fryer. This makes it a great choice for busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
Cooking salmon in the air fryer is a healthier option than other cooking methods, such as frying or sautéing. The air fryer uses hot air to cook the salmon, which means you don’t need to add any oil. This reduces the amount of fat and calories in the dish, making it a healthier choice.
Using the air fryer to cook salmon yields delicious results. The speediness of the air fryer makes the salmon slightly crispy on the edges and so juicy in the centre. Plus, the skin-on salmon holds together more easily, and it yields moist and flaky results.
The air fryer is a versatile kitchen appliance that can be used to cook a variety of dishes, including salmon. You can experiment with different seasonings and glazes to create your own unique flavour combinations. Plus, you can cook other foods alongside the salmon, such as asparagus or potatoes, making it a one-stop shop for your meal.
Overall, cooking salmon in the air fryer is a great choice if you’re looking for a quick, convenient, and healthier way to prepare this delicious fish.
Preparing the Salmon
Preparing salmon for air frying is easy and straightforward. Here are the steps to follow:
Choosing the Right Salmon
When choosing salmon for air frying, it is important to select fresh, high-quality fish that is suitable for cooking in an air fryer. Look for salmon pieces or fillets that are firm, bright, and have a fresh smell. Avoid fish that has a dull appearance, discoloured flesh, or a strong fishy odour.
Cleaning the Salmon
Before cooking, it is important to clean the salmon properly. Rinse the fillets under cold running water and pat them dry with paper towels. Remove any remaining scales or bones with a pair of tweezers. You can also ask your fishmonger to do this for you.
Seasoning the Salmon
Seasoning the salmon is an important step in preparing it for air frying. You can use a variety of seasonings, such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and lemon juice. Here is a simple recipe for seasoning your salmon:
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- Splash of Lemon Juice
Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl, squeeze some lemon on top sprinkle the seasoning on top of the salmon fillets. You can also use your favourite marinade or sauce to add flavour to the fish.
Once you have prepared your salmon, it is ready to be air fried. With these simple steps, you can enjoy delicious and healthy air fryer salmon with the skin on in no time.
Cooking the Salmon in an Air Fryer
Cooking salmon in an air fryer is a quick and easy way to prepare a delicious and healthy meal. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl, squeeze some lemon on top of the salmon, then sprinkle with the seasonings.
- Place the salmon pieces in a baking tin or direct into the air fryer. Make sure they are not overlapping. Set the air fryer to 180℃/350℉ and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, depending on how thick the pieces are.
- You can check for doneness by inserting a fork into the thickest part of the fillet. If it flakes easily, it is done.
- Once the salmon is cooked, carefully remove it from the air fryer basket using tongs or a spatula. Serve immediately.
Here are some additional tips to ensure the best results when cooking salmon in an air fryer:
- You can add some extra flavour by brushing the salmon fillets with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs before cooking.
- If you want to cook asparagus with your salmon, add it to the air fryer basket halfway through the cooking time.
- Make sure to use skin-on salmon fillets, as the skin helps to keep the fish moist and also adds flavour.
- If you are cooking frozen salmon fillets, you may need to increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
Cooking salmon in an air fryer is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy this nutritious fish. With just a few simple steps, you can have a tasty meal on the table in no time.
Serving and Enjoying Your Air Fryer Salmon
Once your air fryer salmon is cooked to perfection, it’s time to serve and enjoy! Here are a few tips on how to plate and serve your salmon, as well as some suggestions for sides and storing leftovers.
Plating the Salmon
When it comes to plating your salmon, you have a few options. You can serve it with the skin on or remove it before plating. If you decide to keep the skin on, make sure it’s crispy and golden brown before serving. To remove the skin, use a sharp knife to separate it from the flesh and gently pull it away.
Once you’ve decided on the skin, place the salmon on a plate or platter. You can serve it whole or cut it into portions before plating. Garnish with fresh herbs, lemon wedges, or your favourite sauce for added flavour and presentation.
Salmon is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Roasted vegetables, such as asparagus, broccoli, or carrots
- A side salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a light vinaigrette
- Quinoa or brown rice for a healthy and filling meal
- Mashed potatoes or sweet potato mash for a comforting and hearty side
Don’t be afraid to get creative with your sides and experiment with different flavours and textures.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
If you have any leftover salmon, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the salmon in the air fryer at 180°c for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Alternatively, you can reheat the salmon in the microwave or oven. Just be sure to cover it with a damp paper towel or foil to prevent it from drying out.
Now that you know how to serve and enjoy your salmon, it’s time to get cooking!
Easy Air Fryer Salmon With The Skin On
- 3 Salmon Pieces (Fresh salmon)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
- ½ tsp Onion Powder (optional)
- Splash of Lemon Juice
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl, squeeze some lemon on top of the salmon then sprinkle with the seasonings.
- Place the salmon pieces in a baking tin or direct into the air fryer. Set the air fryer to 180℃/350℉ and cook for 10 – 15 minutes depending on how thick the pieces are.