Puff pastry cheese straws are the perfect appetizer for any occasion! They’re easy to make, crispy, buttery, cheesy, and so tasty. These cheese sticks are the perfect wine nibble idea!
Cheese straws with ready-made puff pastry
If you’re looking for an easy cheese straw recipe, this is the one for you. This cheese straw recipe is simple and quick to make with ready-made puff pastry. Just add your favourite cheese to the puff pastry, and you’re good to go.
I like to use a mixture of cheddar and Gruyere cheese, but you can use any cheese that you like. For a twist, try adding some chopped herbs or a little bit of chilli to the cheese filling. If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could even try a sweet cheese straw by adding some sugar and cinnamon to the cheese filling. Whatever way you choose to make them, cheese straws are always a hit with family and friends.
Wine nibbles ideas
Cheese straws are a classic wine nibble and for good reason. They’re easy to make, pair well with various wines, and are always a hit at parties.
You can also have some ready-made dips on the side to go with them .
Let frozen puff pastry defrost in the fridge overnight, so it is easier to roll out.
Grate your own cheese rather than buy ready-bought cheese because the bought stuff is coated in starch and doesn’t melt as well as your own.
Thick or thin cheese straws – The thickness is entirely up to you. If you are doing thin ones, take note they may take less time to bake or longer if doing thick ones.
Just a few ingredients
Your grocery list is super short. All you need is:
How to make homemade cheese straws using puff pastry
Cheese straws are a classic southern treat that are perfect for any occasion. And while they may sound fancy, they’re actually quite easy to make at home using store-bought puff pastry. Here’s how:
There’s always room for customisation. Here are a few alternatives:
- Cayenne Pepper – Add a teaspoon to the egg wash or grated cheese.
- Black Pepper – Sprinkle black pepper on after you’ve add the egg wash.
- Mixed Herbs – Mix this in with cheese or egg wash
- Red and White Cheese – Mix things up with different types of cheese.
Storing and reheating
These will keep in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. If you find they have got a bit soft, crisp them up in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes.
Easy Puff Pastry Cheese Straws Recipe
- 375 g Puff Pastry
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese
- 100 g Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- Preheat the oven to 170°c fan/190°c/Gas 5/355°F
- Sprinkle the work surface with a ¼ of the cheese.
- Unroll or roll out your puff pastry on top of the cheese grated work surface and sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on to one half of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over and lightly roll out with a rolling pin. Cut the pastry into strips, about 1.5 cm apart.
- Once cut, hold each end of one strip and twist in opposite directions about four times. Repeat with the rest of the strips and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush all over with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.