I’m so excited to share this recipe with you! These Madeira Butterfly cakes are perfect for bakers of all levels. They are easy to make, and the results are stunning. Plus, they are perfect for special occasions like Mother’s Day or a baby shower. The pink buttercream is simply gorgeous, and the addition of jam makes them extra delicious. I know you’re going to love these cakes!
Butterfly Cakes With Jam
The traditional butterfly cake filling is buttercream but I wanted something a bit different in these Madeira butterfly cakes so I added some homemade plum jam and I have to say they are amazing! You may not have time to make your own jam, so any jam of choice will do. Just make sure there is more fruit in a jam than sugar for a lovely fruity taste. If you love jammy stuff, you will love this Bakewell Tart Traybake (Frangipane Squares) Recipe.
The Madeira sponge is a firmer sponge than the Victoria sponge and is a good base for these buns or any celebration cake. When making the sponge use your electric mixer and use the paddle attachment to mix everything together.
The cooking time is slightly longer for the Medeira sponge and at a low setting. These butterfly cakes will take about 25 – 30 minutes at a temperature of 150 degrees.
Ingredients for 24 Butterfly Cakes
For the sponge you will need:
450g Self-Raising Flour
400g Caster Sugar
400g Soft Margarine
3 tbsp Milk
Cream For Butterfly Cakes
For the filling you will need:
250g Unsalted Butter, softened
400g Sifted Icing Sugar
A few drops of pink food colouring
How To Cut Wings For Butterfly Cakes
Using a sharp knife, cut a round circle on top of the cake to about 2.5cm deep. Cut the slice in half. Fill the cakes with the jam and top with buttercream and place the wings on top to look like butterflies. You can either have the wings standing as in the image above or lay flat. You can also dust your wings with icing sugar if you wish, this can look good if you’re making chocolate butterfly cakes.
Tools You Will Need For Your Butterfly Bun Recipe
You will need:
24 x Paper Cases
Electric Mixer to mix your ingredients thoroughly
Butterfly Bun Recipe With Jam
Making these buns are really easy and kids will love this recipe so why not make it with them. See the full recipe below. For a more fruity, alternative try my Fresh Fruit Summer Berry Cupcakes or my iced fairy cakes and Glace Cherry Cake.
Madeira Butterfly Cakes With Pink Buttercream and Jam
- 450 g Self-Raising Flour
- 400 g Caster Sugar
- 400 g Soft Margarine
- 7 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Pre-heat your oven at 150°c and place the paper cases in your tins.
- Put all the ingredients for the sponge in your mixer with the paddle attachment and mix at low speed to combine the ingredients. Increase the speed for 1 minute until the mixture is smooth.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out the mixture and place in the paper case and repeat until they are all filled.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Put on a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, cut out a circular top and 2.5cm deep then cut in half.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter with an electric whisk until very soft. Gradually add the sifted icing sugar until it's all mixed together. Increase the speed until it's light and fluffy.
- Place about a teaspoon of jam in each cake and top with buttercream. Place the wings on top to resemble a butterfly.