I’m always on the lookout for easy recipes that can be whipped up in a hurry, and these lemon shortbread cookies are one of my favourites. They’re simple to make and taste delicious with just a few ingredients. If you’re looking for a quick and tasty snack or breakfast idea, give these biscuits a try!
Why are lemon shortbread biscuits taste so good?
There are a few reasons why lemon shortbread biscuits taste so good. First, the combination of sweet and tart is always a winning flavour combo. Second, the buttery shortbread base pairs perfectly with the zesty lemon. And third, they’re just really darn delicious! Whether you enjoy them with a cup of tea or coffee or as a sweet snack, these biscuits are sure to hit the spot. If you love these biscuits, you will love my empire biscuits that are sandwiched together with raspberry jam!
Variations to lemon biscuits
There are so many ways you can vary this recipe to suit your taste. Here are a few ideas:
Add a handful of chopped nuts, such as almonds or pistachios, to the dough for a bit of crunch.
Stir in some dried fruit, such as raisins or cranberries, for a touch of sweetness.
Swap out the lemon for another citrus fruit, such as lime or orange.
Sprinkle the baked biscuits with a little bit of sugar or cinnamon sugar for a sweet and festive touch.
Include a chocolate drizzle or lemon glaze on top of the cooled biscuits.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy every last bite!
What can you do with leftover lemons?
If you find yourself with some extra lemons, there are plenty of delicious things you can do with them! Here are a few ideas:
Make a batch of homemade lemonade.
Add them to a pitcher of iced tea or sparkling water.
Stir some into plain yoghurt for a refreshing breakfast or snack.
Use them to make a flavorful vinaigrette for salads or roasted veggies.
Mix up a batch of homemade lemon cleaning solutions for all your household needs.
Add some zest to baked goods like quick bread, muffins, or cookies.
Make a tasty marinade or sauce for chicken, fish, or tofu.
Preserve them in salt or sugar to use throughout the year.
Lemon butter biscuit ingredients
For about 42 cookies, you will need:
- The zest of 3 lemons and 2 tsp lemon juice
- 340 g Plain Flour/All-Purpose
- 113 g Granulated Sugar or Caster Sugar
- 227 g Butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Extra Caster sugar for sprinkling
How to make lemon shortbread butter biscuits
How to store or freeze lemon shortbread
If you have any leftovers (lucky you!), store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Or, freeze them in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen biscuits overnight in the fridge before enjoying them. You can crispen them up in the oven if they are too soft. Or, if you are feeling generous, give them away as gifts!
Easy Lemon Shortbread Butter Cookies
- 3 Zest of 3 lemons + 2 tsp Juice (Juice and the zest)
- 340 g Plain Flour (All Purpose)
- 113 g Granulated Sugar (or caster sugar)
- 227 g Butter (Salted)
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Caster Sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 180°c/350°f/gas 4/160° fan
- Cream the 227 g Butter, lemon zest and 113 g Granulated Sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice and egg yolk, and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, add the 340 g Plain Flour until it forms a dough but don't over mix.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out about ¼ inch thick. Lightly prick all over with a fork. Cut into rounds using a 2-inch cutter and place on lined baking sheets. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for about 16-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with caster sugar. Leave for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.