Do you want to make pizza dough just like Papa Johns’s or Domino’s? I don’t want to sound big-headed, but this pizza base tastes better than any other pizza I’ve tasted.
Italian-style quick pizza dough
Are you tired of ordering pizza and paying a premium for a mediocre crust? Look no further than Mary Berry’s homemade pizza dough recipe. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can make the best pizza dough right in your own kitchen.
The key to this recipe is in the technique. Mixing the flour, yeast, and salt together before adding in the warm water and olive oil ensures a smooth and elastic dough.
Once you’ve made the dough, the possibilities for toppings are endless. Whether you prefer classic pepperoni and cheese or more adventurous combinations like fig and prosciutto, this dough will provide the perfect base for your pizza creations. So why settle for subpar pizza when you can make the best easy pizza dough at home with Mary Berry’s recipe?
Ingredients for basic pizza base
Mary Berry’s homemade pizza dough recipe is simple and easy to follow. Here are the ingredients you will need to make the perfect pizza dough:
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp instant yeast (or 1 x 7g sachet)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml warm water
These ingredients are all readily available in most grocery stores and supermarkets. Make sure to use strong bread flour, as it will give your pizza dough the perfect texture and chewiness. You can also add garlic to the dough for extra flavour if you wish.
It is important to use warm water when making the dough. The water should be around 37°C/98°F as this temperature will activate the yeast and help the dough to rise. You can also add a pinch of sugar to the water to help the yeast activate if needed.
With these simple ingredients, you can make delicious homemade pizza dough that will impress your family and friends.
Follow these simple steps to make the best easy pizza dough using Mary Berry’s recipe:
Time needed: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- Mix the dry ingredients
Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the liquids
Add the warm water with the olive oil and mix until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes. You can also do this in a mixer using the dough hook.
Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover it with a damp tea towel or cling film, and leave it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C fan)/465°F/gas mark 9.
- Shape the dough
Roll out the dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness and shape.
- Add toppings
Add your favourite toppings, such as tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, crushed garlic and fresh basil.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove from the oven, slice, and serve immediately.
By following these simple instructions, you can make delicious, homemade pizza dough using Mary Berry’s recipe.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the best easy pizza dough using Mary Berry’s recipe:
- Use high-quality ingredients. The quality of your flour, yeast, and olive oil will affect the taste and texture of your pizza dough.
- Measure your ingredients accurately. Use a kitchen scale to ensure that you are adding the right amount of flour, yeast, and olive oil.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes. Kneading helps develop the gluten in the dough, which gives pizza dough its chewy texture.
- Let the dough rest. After kneading, let the dough rest for at least an hour. This allows the gluten to relax and makes the dough easier to shape.
- For a crispy crust, roll the dough out thin. Don’t be afraid to stretch the dough with your hands to get it to the desired size and shape. Bake at a high temperature.
- Use a pizza stone or preheated baking sheet (optional). A pizza stone or preheated baking sheet will help give your pizza crust a crispy texture.
- Don’t overload your pizza with toppings. Too many toppings can make your pizza soggy. Stick to a few high-quality toppings and spread them out evenly.
Handy tip: Prepare Ahead!
Make these pizza bases well in advance and freeze them for later. Use baking paper in between each prepared dough base and place in a freezer bag or cling film.
Making homemade pizza dough can seem intimidating, but with Mary Berry’s recipe, it’s easier than ever. By following the simple steps and tips provided in this article, anyone can make delicious, restaurant-quality pizza dough in the comfort of their own home.
Remember to measure your ingredients accurately, use warm water, and allow the dough to rise in a warm area. You can also add your favourite herbs and spices to the dough for extra flavour.
Once you have your perfect pizza dough, the topping options are endless. Whether you prefer a classic Margherita (my favourite) or something more adventurous like BBQ chicken, homemade pizza is a fun and customizable meal that everyone will enjoy.
So next time you’re craving pizza, skip the delivery and try making your own with this easy pizza dough recipe. Your taste buds will thank you.
Pizza is great to eat just as it is, but it is also good with the following options:
And don’t forget the wine!
How To Make The Best Easy Pizza Dough (Mary Berry)
- 500 g Strong White Flour
- 7 g Fast-Action Dried Yeast
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (plus extra for greasing the proving bowl)
- 300 ml Warm Water
- Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a bowl. Add the warm water with the olive oil and mix until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes. You can also do this in a mixer using the dough hook..
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover it with a damp tea towel or cling film, and leave it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C fan)/465°F/gas mark 9
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness and shape. Add your favourite toppings, such as tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, crushed garlic and fresh basil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven, slice, and serve immediately.